Saturday, May 17, 2008

Why I Have to Dance ...

These days most of the time I spend dancing I spend doing Ballroom and Latin dance with the UCT society. It is at once a very demanding and technical but fun and social way of getting my dance fix. Not too long ago I was having problems communicating with my dance partner. The problems were emotionally frustrating and grueling enough that I was considering throwing in the towel with the particular partnership (regardless of how well he and I dance together) simply because I was that unhappy and to add to that I dance horribly when I'm not in a good emotional space.

My feelings about the partnership are still up in the air but considering the whole saga I was led to a place where I feel it is time to deconstruct (at least partly) what dance means to me and why it is so integral to my life that I have been known to wake up at 4am because I simply have to dance.

I could have been no older than 5 when I decided I wanted to be a dancer. I had been to an open air theatre to see a dance show and I walked out knowing that it was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. It had been a contemporary ballet piece but now I remember little aside from the magnetic quality of the raw emotional energy and the consequent certainty that I needed to learn to dance like that. Naturally I started Ballet in my first school year and for a very long time my life goal was to become a Prima Ballerina. Over the years I experienced many different styles of dance and was, to various degrees: enchanted, challenged, disappointed, stretched, surprised, transported.

My definition of what a dancer is has changed remarkably since I was 5 but if asked to give only 1 definition of myself that's still it: I'm a dancer.

Dancing still holds magic for me. It allows me to express parts of my soul that I can't even see clearly and it enables communication without the limitations and inadequacies of words. Communication with an audience, a partner, other people in the dance, God or simply particles of the universe. When dancing you connect people to your emotion without a detour through the forest of words. Everyone can understand non-voiced communication, admittedly many forget to pay attention but in truth it's a form of communication instinctively understood and a predecessor to words.

In general dancing is primal both as an art form and a form of communication. For me, when I dance I can be strong and vulnerable at the same time. I can be honest in expressing emotions and knots in my soul that I can't even understand or see but my very darkest and difficult moment can be transformed into something that is exquisitely beautiful.

3 comments:

Disturbed Prophet said...

Hi there WeBe

Glad to see that you have joined us nutters that express ourselves and our thoughts out in the blogosphere.

It is most clear to me that dance is an intrinsic part of who you are!!

It is a blessing and a gift to possess the artistic desire to express emotions, concepts and the aesthetic through movement.

Keep that body in motion!!

AH

Anonymous said...

QoM,

I hope that when you wake at 4am and dance that you coords are switched on even if the lights aren't!

It sounds like dance has become a language to you, perhaps it's like that for all of us - showing some of what's really inside.

The Weaving Between said...

Andrew
I was always nutty :-) This perhaps just a recent expression of my nuttiness.

Tim
I love the pre-dawn. Its my most creative time of the day.
I'd trust a non-verbal language to be honest much sooner than a verbal one.